Monday 19 November 2007

"Words, words, words!

I am sick of words! I get words all day through, first from him, now from you!
Is that all you blighters can do?!"


Yes, Eliza, it probably is. Though unfortunately the text of My Fair Lady isn't free yet, so I can't check my memory against the text at Project Gutenberg. I could check the ur-text Pygmalion, but I already know that Shaw's Eliza would never have uttered such an emotional thing that late in the play.

I'm running out of things on my Treo to read. Most everything easy, weird or strange I loaded up on it more than a year ago is already read. And for some reason I can't seem to get my various computers sorted enough to re-install the bits and pieces needed to back-up, sync and install new stuff on my phone. Maybe it is some unconscious need for living dangerous that manifests itself in this way?

So being bored and unable to sleep late last night I thought it would be a good idea to surf to Gutenberg and see if I could maybe read something from there straight on my Treo. It turned out it was theoretically possible, but the Treo's tiny browser stuttered to a halt quickly. And Gutenberg's interface (like wikipedia's, unfortunately) turned out to be very small-screen unfriendly.

But it did look like it had evolved quite a bit since I last looked at it a few years ago. New-ish dedicated format for Palms, Torrents, a nice top-100 list to browse. So I simply had to take a better look. And it looks like I've added yet another page to the all too many in my standard opera-view.

What I didn't find was a list of links to other e-text projects. Which is rather weird, since Gutenberg is very English.
Luckily I happen to know of one other similar project, the Swedish Project Runeberg. And they have a rather comprehensive list of links. Unfortunately it is rather too broad, and seems to be quite out of date too.

This is getting annoying. I *happen* to know about both Gutenberg and Runeberg. I don't know about similar projects in German or French. One would have thought either Gutenberg or Runeberg could lead me to those?
But no. Luckily the parallell structure of wikipedia's different language editions once again proved very useful: Gutenberg-DE seems to be the closest thing in German. Unfortunately it really isn't comparable as it is severely crippled in texts only being browsable on-line.

No comments: