Monday 12 November 2007

The problem of avatars and profiles


I just finally managed to guess correctly what I had used 3+ years ago when I signed up for a blog (called "journal" then) at my.opera.com, and was faced with the need to update some stuff - the look and functionality of the portal/community/blogs/whole-shebang has changed considerably since 2004.

And once again I was reminded of how frustrating it is to be a fairly visual person with almost no skills, and less energy. The my.opera-templates all reserve a big chunk of space for a picture. It looks not only lame, but very, very boring. Especially as everyone else who comments, or visits (while logged in to my.opera), who also haven't uploaded any pic to represent themselves also get stuck with this no-image-image in the sidebar.

Lots of places reserve space for an avatar of some sort. The only place so far where I swiftly caved and cobbled together something has been Flickr. It sort of seemed obligatory on a photo-sharing site. But what I came up with there is not good.
On most boards I've ever registered I've just ignored the avatar-custom. Mostly because I just don't happen to have anything handy. And firing up even a bare-bones graphic app. just to play around and shrink some part of some images to the required dimension? Nah. Not going to happen at the time of registration. And then, not going to happen at all.
On one or two occasions, when the forum in question have had a ready made gallery to pick and choose from I've picked something. But nothing that seemed "me" enough for me to swipe it for further use.

Many people do take the easy and logical way out and just use a photo of themselves. The shy version of this is using a photo of the back of ones head, or a picture of oneself as a baby.
I guess I could just stop trying to be original and individual and go this route. But I photograph very badly. Like really ugly.
Not there yet, but it might still come to that.

No comments: